Many Hats

Many Hats
Many Hats

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Points of View - Teenager vs. Adult

I have come to realize that there is a basic difference in how teenagers and adults view different situations.  I find this a little odd since I used to be a teenager and I don't remember having this kind of a problem but the more teenagers I deal with the more I see that it is, in fact, a pretty big chasm of misunderstanding.  I have outlined a few areas where this difference in understand seems pretty evident.

1.  Homework
Adult - Homework is necessary to reinforce skills, promote memorization as well as a good work ethic.
Teenager - it' stupid, worthless, teachers just do it because they're power hungry idiots!

2.  Chores
Adults - Chores help teach responsibility, household skills, a beginning to independence and ownership of a teens surroundings.
Teenager - it's stupid, worthless, parents just make you do them because they're power hungry idiots

3.  Dating
Adults - This is a time to go out with different people, get to know a variety, enjoy this time in your life and make good choices about who you date.
Teenager - you mean you actually might go to prison?!?!  That's so cool!!!  I think I love you even though we're only been dating for 3 hours.  Of course, I've only known you for 4 hours but we will be together forever, I promise!!  I love you so much baby!!!

4.  Grades
Adult - You need to apply yourself to your studies so you can get into a good college, get scholarships and be able to support yourself through your career
Teenager - there is plenty of time to get my grades up, I'm not a senior yet.  Grades aren't important, they don't show the real me.  Grades are an antiquated method of showing nothing and should not be used to judge my self-worth, besides, I'm gonna be a famous .... (rock star, actor, rapper, football player, skateboarder, jockey, etc)

5.  Promptness
Adult - You need to be on time.  If I say 7:00, you should be ready to go by 6:55.  When you are late you inconvenience everyone, not just yourself.
Teenager - I'm only 5 minutes late, what's your problem?!  No body's gonna care if we get to there late!  You're so uptight!

6.  Consequences
Adult - You stayed out 3 hours past curfew, you totaled the car and ran over the cat.  You are grounded for a month, no friends over, no computer, and no cell phone.  You need to learn that this kind of behavior in not acceptable
Teenager - no cell phone?!?!  are you freakin' kidding me?!?!  You are so mean!!! I hate you!!!

7.  Time of Crime
Adult - You teacher called today and told up you haven't done your homework all quarter.  This is a serious problem and it needs to change.
Teenager - this quarter is over, I turned in my homework today, the rest of that all happened over a week ago so it's no big deal.  Why are you making such a mountain out of this, it's in the past; get over it already

8.  Tone and Attitude
Adult - You need to keep the attitude out of your voice while we discuss this issue, don't take a rude tone and watch what you are saying.  How you deal in stressful situations is being learned right now while we deal with your behavior.
Teenager - you're being rude with me so I can say anything I want.  I'm angry so I get to swear at you and yell and blow up, but don't worry, I'll apologize later and then you can forget all about this...until I do it again next time.  What do you mean?  Of course "I'm sorry" fixes it.  So what if I've said it 25 times this week for the same thing, I still said it?  You just hate me.

9. Rules
Adult - We have set certain rules so you can  learn responsibility, and we can make sure you are safe and cared for.
Teenager - rules are just a parents way of trying to suck all the fun out of being a kid.  I swear, my parent must have hatched from a bod; no way they were kids once, they are so clueless!

10.  Parenting
Adult - We do not set these rules and expectations to make you miserable, we do it to help you grow, mature and take your place in adult society and find all the success and happiness we hope for you.  It is not fun and it doesn't make us feel better or powerful to enforce rules, assign consequences or lecture about the same thing over and over until it sinks in.
Teenager - blah, blah, blah.  When I'm a parent I'm gonna let my kids do anything they want and I'm not going to make them follow any rules cause rules are stupid and you have no idea what it's like to be a kid.  Just leave me alone!!  You don't care!!

Yep, it's a slippery slope and very little of it makes any sense.  The biggest hope we have is when we look at our parents and watch they snicker behind their hands as they watch us have these conversations over and over again with our kids.  It appears to be a vicious cycle, but at least someday we get to be at their point in the circle of growing. 

I'm really looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment