Many Hats

Many Hats
Many Hats

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Beginning My Bucket List from my Feeling a Little Older Woman's Hat

I never thought it would happen to me but, I have hit an age where I spend more time looking back and thinking, When I was younger..."  My favorite motto used to be "They can make me grow old, but they can't make me grow up" and I still hold to this as often as I can but reality and back aches conspire to tell me that growing old can be pretty lousy sometime even if you are a kid at heart.  I have heard a few references to this thing called a Bucket List and I thought to myself, "Self, maybe you should consider making a bucket list, after all, you're not getting any younger you know."  Then I'm all like, "Shut up!  I'm as young as I feel.  I don't need no stinking bucket list."  and my back's all, "Um, you may not be old, but I am, start the stupid list.", and I'm like "Shut up and get over it back, if I want to climb Mount Rushmore you're just gonna have to deal!" At which point my back spasms and I end up on the couch for a day or two.

After having a few of these arguments with my childish self I have decided I couldn't hurt and wasn't completely grown up to start a bucket list.  When you think about it, a bucket list is really just a list of things you dream about doing, which is and was a favorite past time of mine as a child so it goes along with the whole not growing up thing.  Besides, I know I wanted to blog today and I was having a hard time thinking of something to write about so.....bucket list it is.

1.  visit Ireland
           I am a little desperate to see if the greens really are greener there.  I want to tour the whiskey plants, sit in an Irish pub and see if they sing.  I want to spend a day wandering the fields looking for four leaf clovers and leprechauns.

2.  see the Grand Canyon
          I know it's completely ordinary and everyone says it but there must be a reason for that.  I have a hard time visualizing something that large and I need to see it in person.

3.  Have one of my pictures published
        I love taking pictures but a small petty part of me would like everyone or at least a lot of people to like my work as well.

4.  Get my doctorate degree
       I'm not sure what field I would pursue at this time and I won't be doing this until my daughter is out of school but I love learning so it makes sense that I would like to go as far as I can in education.

5.  Have a student come back and tell me I made a positive difference in their life
      I love my job and I think I'm pretty good at it but it would be nice to have someone come back and say they remembered something important, did something or didn't do something because I made an impact on them and they were grateful I was a part of their life.

6.  Fix all the little things in my house
     The bathroom needs remodeling, the kitchen ceiling needs fixed, a new dishwasher, a garbage disposal, tear down the garage and build a new one, the front porch steps, the list goes on but I think you get the point.

7.  see Australia and New Zealand
     I know that should count as 2 things, but really, they are so close to each other and far away from me that I'm combining them into 1 wish.  Besides, there is no way I would go to one and not the other once I have actually hopped the plane to go that far.

8.  drive across the country
     There is so much more to see, do and be amazed by when you're driving than when you're flying.  Don't get me wrong, I love to fly, but taking the time to drive cross country would give me the chance to experience the US in a way I can't from the air

9.  Be queen
     You'd have to be in the SCA or know about it to understand this one but I would like the chance to sit the throne once.  I'd hope I'd do a decent job as a monarch.

10.  learn another language
     I've always found languages hard for me to learn (I'm not really sure I understand my native language all that well) but I would like to learn Irish Gaelic and/or sign language

So, this is the start of my bucket list.  Pretty boring, mundane, everyday right now but hopefully it will get better, more creative and more fun.  Also, hopefully some of them will get accomplished.  Maybe I should start by getting my passport renewed.

What's on your bucket list?

1 comment:

  1. Oooh yeah... I've had a bucket list for a LONG time - before they were called that. I review it about 2 times a year. Mine is actually in a book called The Wish List. (found here thanks to the folks at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wish-List-Barbara-Ann-Kipfer/dp/0761107568/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322838216&sr=8-3 )

    There are some great ones there, and there may be some that you are surprised you have done that you might not have thought about. I may have to actually replace my copy soon - it's getting a bit worn.

    ReplyDelete