Many Hats

Many Hats
Many Hats

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ah Those Summer Nights...from my friend hat

As the weather has started to turn and I shiver my way through scrapping the car every morning, my thoughts return more and more to this past summer and all the evenings we spent just relaxing on our porches.


At Missy and Todd's place we would spend countless hours sipping on Capt and cokes while we watched the world sizzle from the heat of the day and cool into the evening hours with bright huge moons and screaming motorcycles keeping us company.  Their dog, Harley would often lay on our feet as we talked about everything and nothing.  We found solutions to personal and family problems as well as national and global issues.  We laughed at and with our kids while they squealed from the tickles or the squeezes or huffed away to ignore us after we'd teased them about romance or school or whatever they had done that had made us roll our eyes that day.  We sat in silence and listened to the night gentle push the day and it's headaches aside.  Occasionally one of the kids would join us in the philosophical discussions but for the most part they stayed inside playing music on the computer and for the most part completely ignoring those adults who are so foolish as to prefer to be outside where there is not immediate entertainment through technology.  (Yes, Missy, I know Todd and I are addicted to our phones but let's be reasonable, that's usually all we took outside)


Some night we would end up on my back porch sipping on margaritas or some other tasty concoction (well, Missy and I did, Todd just kept drinking his Capt and coke).  Back there we were isolated from the world beyond my back yard. Just good friends, lots of laughs and my cat, Wade (whom Todd likes to call Lloyd). The moon was just as glorious and the talks just as far reaching as the stars but the distractions of the street out front we left to the kids who spent hours hanging out there, as far away from the adults as they could go.  As before there was some intermixing of kids and adults but these times were brief and infrequent, which suited all of us well.


Most of these nights we unplanned or as casually discussed as possible with a simple, "U comin over 2nite?" txt or just a knock on the door and a bottle in hand as we walked through each others houses.  I think that was the best part about the whole thing, that we could and did do that to and with each other on a regular basis.  What a comfort to know that you are welcome any time and that all other activity would either stop and socializing would happen or, whoever had just invaded would pitch in and help finish whatever task was being tackled at the time.  Todd was (and is) always good for a kid distraction.  They love messing with him and my daughter especially loved his big crushing gorilla hugs and squealing in his ear.  I think he really enjoys it too although he might not admit to that. 

Sometimes we would be joined by our friend Paulie.  He was always welcome but not always available.  He joined us frequently for cocktails and conversation.  Paulie is highly animated, informed and entertaining and I still do not get to spend nearly enough time with him.  he greatly added to our enjoyment of warm summer evenings and lively conversations.


There were also some memorable evenings gathering with multiple friends to share camaraderie, laughs and a few short happy hours.  Laughter again was the goal and I think we found success.  These evenings strengthened friendships, built new ones and generally added great spice to my life.  I can only hope it did the same for those I was with.  Now that the days have grown shorter and fuller and have left us with less time and heat to enjoy porch nights, I can't help but look forward to next summer and more time laughing and loving and enjoying all of the blessings I have in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment