Many Hats

Many Hats
Many Hats

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lover of Mother Earth Hat

So, picture this. 

We deal with recyclable items in our day to day activities.  It becomes routine to rinse, de-label, sort and otherwise deal with all the waste we used to just toss in the garbage and for get about.  As a society we have become more educated and aware of our impact on our home and many of us have taken measures to try to reduce this where we can.  This is our responsibility and I too have made a change in how I think about waste and how I can be a better Earth Lover.

So, we gather our recycling items, washed, sorted, and everything, to the curb as we are getting ready to leave the house.  We haven't set them out in a few weeks as the bins were not really full until this week.  so, plastic, tin, glass, paper, cardboard all ready to be picked up and dealt with in a as they should be in the best interest of our home.  Then we check the garbage can and find it is not full so instead of paying full price to get rid of half a can of waste, we decided to save it til next week, and off we go to our daily grind.

A full day of work/school and back home we are bound.  Imagine my surprise as i pull into the driveway and find all the carefully sorted recyclables still in their bins waiting on the curb.  My daughter went out to gather them up and read the sticker that has been left to explain the problem that caused these fine gentlemen to pass us by.  It seems they will not take the do-not-need-to-pay-to-get-rid-of recyclables unless you also have paid-for-the-ticket-to-be-rid-of garbage.  So, to get rid of my recyclables you must also have garbage.

Check me on this, if i have more waste to recycle, isn't it natural that I should have less trash?  So should I create more waste so my recyclables can be accepted as well?  How exactly does that help anything?  I mean really?

OK, so that's my rant for the day.  Thank you for listening.

Recycle, Reduce, Reuse...and save it all til you have a full can of trash as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment