Many Hats

Many Hats
Many Hats

Friday, September 30, 2011

First Dates and Hiding Under my Woman Hat

In my last post I explored some of the joys of online dating, such as they are.  Well, tomorrow I am going on a first date.  Yep, that's right, I'm turning forty...... well, that's not important, and I am once again going on a first date.

As I contemplate this date I am forced to think back to when I started dating and I have to admit although I had a few boyfriends and even one ex-husband, I honestly don't remember many first dates.  I certainly don't remember any that happened with a man that I had only know online, never in person.  It's a whole new world and I am, well, a bit of an old fogey so this could be interesting.

After chatting online for 3 weeks + we have decided to meet for lunch.  Actually, we decided to meet about 2 weeks ago but schedules being what they are, this was the first weekend we could make connections.  As an added bonus to the level of stress we will both be feeling, my teenage daughter (who thinks it is so super cute that I have an online boyfriend) is joining us for this first date because he feels he needs to make a good impression on her so she will be ok with us dating.  Fun, times ten, I'm sure.

Add to all that, 3 weeks of chatting and what I think of as getting to know a person and here I sit, listing all the things I have no clue about when it comes to this guy.  Even something so small as I have no idea about the sound of his voice.  I mean, how basic is that, and I am without a clue?!  I see his picture every time we chat but I have almost created a voice to go with it and I'm sure it's not even close.  Does he have an accent, a lisp, a bass or a tenor?  I don't really care either way, it's just weird to think I have no idea what he sounds like. 

If you think about it, years ago when you were dating, you would meet a person, either through school or a club or activity, maybe through friends or whatever.  A few phone calls, sit together at lunch or what have you.  If you both think things are going well, then a date is asked for, received affirmatively, set and off you go, with this person you already know something about.  This is completely foreign to me.  Ok, not completely, I have been on 3 other first dates since this whole online dating thing started, but there was only a day or 2 of chatting and we decided to meet.  This time, 3 WEEKS!  Somehow that makes it more pressure.  After all, you don't invest hours of time chatting with someone because you aren't interested.  Now, face to face, who knows what might happen.  Seriously, I may need therapy!

Anyway, as many times as I have thought about calling it all off and joining a convent (although I'd have to make a serious religion switch and who knows what to do with the kid) I am going.  I need to do this for myself as much as anything, just to prove to myself that I have the guts to go through all this again. 

Someone get the tequila ready, I think I'm gonna need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment